Debian Testing installation notes

Main installation went smoothly, I installed gnome 3 and xfce, at boot it defaults to gnome.

No sudo

The installation process prompts for a root and user password and without thinking much, I set both. This resulted in my default user not being allowed to run commands with sudo. Add the default user to the sudoers group:

# log as root, as the user is not allowed to use sudo yet
$ su
# add user to the sudo group
$ /sbin/usermod -a -G sudo <username>

It is necessary to log out for changes to take effect.

No sound

My Asus Xonar is supported on Linux (as of early 2019), however the installation default sets the card to stereo and probably uses a different output plug.
In my case, this is easily solved by running alsamixer and changing the analog out settings to multichannel. Then store the settings:

 $ /sbin/alsactl --file ~/.config/asound.state store

and I make it the system default:

 $ sudo cp ~/.config/asound.state /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

After reboot, sound works fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow ethernet on RT-AC68U

NVIDIA vs AMD for tensorflow